Shooting at U.S. Census Bureau headquarters in Md.
202

LiveBlog

Shooting at U.S. Census Bureau headquarters in Md.


    Anderson's February assault charge stemmed from domestic call 

    Ronald Anderson (AP/Prince George's County State's Attorney's Office) 
    DeleteEdit Image
    A man charged in a crime spree that left a Census Bureau guard dead and a police officer wounded was previously convicted of manslaughter and recently was charged in an assault case involving his ``visibly afraid'' girlfriend, according to court documents obtained Friday by WTOP and The Associated Press.

    Ronald Anderson, 48, was charged with assaulting his girlfriend in Prince George's County on Feb. 17, according to court records.

    The officer responding to a domestic dispute call said that the man's girlfriend was clearly afraid.

    ``The victim was shaking, crying and was whispering while speaking because she was afraid of the suspect hearing her,'' the officer wrote, according to the documents.

    The woman, whose 10-month-old son was home, told police that Anderson had hit her several times,
    knocking her into walls, because he thought she was looking a another man, the records say.

    He was also charged with marijuana possession with intent to distribute. While investigating the assault, police found dozens of baggies of marijuana in the home. The marijuana had a total street value of more than $7,700. 

    Anderson is charged with kidnapping the same woman Thursday as he assaulted in February. Court records say they were involved in a romantic relationship. 

    However Anderson's attorney George Harper tells WTOP that the girlfriend denies she was hit by Anderson and that police tried to force her to make statements that were not true. 

    Another court record filed in D.C. Superior Court shows that Anderson pleaded guilty to manslaughter while armed in 1991 in Washington, D.C. No other details were immediately available about that case.

    Anderson is expected in D.C. Superior Court Saturday. 

    - The Associated Press and WTOP contributed to this report. 
    Buckner (Master Security) 

    Security guard described as family man with heart of gold

    Lawrence Buckner had more than two decades of security experience and had worked for almost four years at the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland before he was shot approaching a car he believed was involved in a kidnapping. 

    Buckner, 59 of Virginia, died several hours after the shooting that locked down the federal facility he was guarding and ultimately led to a chase and a series of shots fired through the District. The man accused of shooting him has been charged with kidnapping and assault of a police officer in D.C.

    He is survived by his wife of 36 years Linda plus a son, four grandchildren, two brothers, three sisters and multiple nieces, nephews and cousins, according to the company he worked for, Master Security, which had a contract with the Federal Protective Services to provide guards at the Census Bureau. 

    His employer described Buckner as a "committed family man with a heart of gold."

     "Lawrence's unselfish approach to life caused him to always consider the needs of others....He had tremendous compassion for others and would help anyone who asked....In his final act of bravery, Lawrence gave his own life to protect others; for that, all of us are eternally grateful."

    He also served eight years in the Army 

    Master Security is based in Hunt Valley, Maryland, and has been in business for more than 50 years. 


Powered by ScribbleLive Content Marketing Software Platform