Deadly Metro smoke investigation



Deadly Metro smoke investigation

  • Tuesday 7 p.m.
    Alexandria mother of two killed in Metro incident

    WASHINGTON - A day after smoke filled a Metro train and station, some of the patients taken to local hospitals are beginning to go home and officials released the name of the Alexandria woman who died.

    Of 18 patients admitted to Medstar Washington Hospital Monday evening, 12 have been released.

    Six were hospitalized over night for signs of respiratory distress. Four of those were released Tuesday, says Dr. Jeffery Shupp.

    One of the remaining patients is in serious condition and the other is in fair condition. Both are making progress and have improved since arriving to the hospital, Shupp says.

     D.C. Fire & EMS had said that 84 patients were transported to several downtown hospitals and that more than 200 patients were triaged at the scene Monday. Two people had been listed in critical condition.

    Wendy Adkins, of the George Washington University Hospital, tells WTOP that they received 51 patients. She adds that 45 were treated and released, and five are still in the hospital in fair condition.

    Carol Glover, 61, of Alexandria, died after she was on the stopped Yellow Line train near the L'Enfant Plaza Station.

    Glover worked for DKW Communications Inc. on L Street where she was a senior business analyst working on a mission critical contract with HUD, company president Darryl Washington tells WTOP. 

    "She’d smile all the time. You would see her pearly whites everyday," Washington says. 

    Weeks ago at the company Christmas party, she was named the employee of the year, he says. 

    Glover had two sons and three grandchildren, he says. 

     "She was an amazing, strong woman. She loved deeply from a strong christian faith," Glover's daughter-in-law Suzanne Glover tells ABC7. 

    She grew up in D.C. and was a "generous, warm, hard-working woman," Suzanne Glover says. 

    Other passengers on that same train report that 20 to 45 minutes passed before firefighters came to help them exit the smoke-filled train. The conductor repeatedly told passengers to stay on the train. Attempts to open train doors only let in more of the thick, orange-black smoke.

     Elected officials - from D.C. Council to Congress - have joined a chorus from Metro riders questioning why it took so long for the passengers to be rescued.

     Meanwhile, the National Transportation Safety Board, which is housed in an office building at L'Enfant Plaza, has begun its investigation starting with an examination of that Yellow Line train. Other aspects of the probe will look at the emergency response, including the long wait for help, communication between responders and Metro along with what caused the electrical arcing along the energized third rail, which generated the smoke.

    WTOP's Megan Cloherty and Amanda Iacone contributed to this report.
View the full stream
Powered by Platform for Live Reporting, Events, and Social Engagement
Log in to your WTOP account for notifications and alerts customized for you.

Sign up